Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued a warning to not leave tumble dryers on unattended after a serious fire in an Arnold property left a family of three trapped upstairs.

They have urged local residents to not leave white goods running overnight after crews from Arnold, Stockhill and Carlton attended the fire on Calverton Road at around half-past midnight on Sunday 28th January 2018. As well this, ensuring that smoke alarms are fitted and functional and internal doors are closed overnight should also be made a priority.

The family was fortunately rescued by a brave neighbour, who heard the shouts of help, and the crews managed to extinguish the fire.

In attendance was Station Manager Jonathan Holford, and was quoted as saying: “This incident had the potential to have more serious consequences, and the family are lucky to be alive thanks to their neighbour.

“Never wait for the smell of smoke to wake you up and always buy yourself time to safely exit your property in the event of a fire by installing smoke alarms and testing them regularly.

“You might think that we as a Service talk a lot about smoke alarms, but I cannot stress enough that such a simple measure can save your life and those of your loved ones.”

It is also important to be aware of product recalls to minimise risk, registering items with the manufacturer when you purchase so they know who to notify and regularly checking their website, especially if purchasing second hand.

“In this case, the fire was caused by a tumble dryer, and while we would never recommend leaving these on overnight or unattended in general, it is also important to check for any recalls on your white goods which could mean that they are at risk of fault, or even fire,” Jonathan said.

“It could be that you have had a letter from the manufacturer of your appliance, and if this is the case, I would urge you to take action as soon a possible. We would always advise you to follow the advice of the manufacturer, and alternatively, you can check on their website for the latest recalls. When was the last time you did this? If you take just five minutes to do this today, you can ensure that you are keeping your household safe.”


Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *